Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Games Played Review

So it's no secret I play a LOT of games - I started the experiment just to see what kinds of games I found myself playing more than others, hoping it might inform decision on what types of games I should look for in the future. A lot of it is also market research, given that I design games. I played 472 games in total in 2010, a bit short of my goal (500).

So without further ado, here's the list sorted in decending order, with some comments:

1. Magic: The Gathering - 155 (89 in person, 66 online)
This was interesting, as I "quit" late last year, getting rid of most of my cards. It became a time sink with keeping up on all the new cards and strategies that were being released. I still enjoy playing once in a while with my friends who still play. Like a bad habit, I still got the urge to play once in a while, and Magic:Online is a great way to scratch the itch without having to go out and buy cards again. For those that care, I counted a best 2-out-of-3 match as a single game play

2. Exigo - 72
Exigo is the initial release of Masquerade Games, the game design company I co-started 2 years ago. These are all play testing games. I've only counted play test games for games that are near completion, not rough shells of games.

3. Carcassone - 33 (20 in person, 13 online)
This number is conceiving, and doesn't include the 50+ games I played against the computer on my iPod. This is a great gateway game, so I end up playing it more than other games just to give gaming neophytes a taste of what a good game is like. I play the game online once in a while on BrettSpielWelt, a germany-based online board gaming community.

4. Dominion - 30 (22 in person, 8 online)
I really wish this number were much higher - but it's a very tough game to teach non-gaming types. This one I've also played a few games in BSW, but I prefer playing with real humans.

5. Masq Games Proto - 22
This is an un-released prototype that I can't really talk about, but I'm hoping to perfect this game in 2011, then I can talk about it.

6. Telestrations - 18
This was the sleeper hit on 2010. I've gotten 4 people to buy this game on a single play experience. It's the telephone game with sketching - the perfect game to play when you want to relax, drink some booze and have a good time without getting into "hardcore" gaming.

7. Chess - 16
I ended up playing quite a bit of chess int he last 2 months of the year, much to my surprise. I'm a halfway decent player, and since I actually beat my father once this year, I can consider 2010 a big success on the chess front :)

8. Kill Dr. Lucky - 9
It's rare to find good games that support 7 people, which is part of the reason this awesome game saw the table as much as it did.

9. Blokus 3D - 9
A great 15 minute filler game that people seemed to enjoy. I got it for $4 on clearance, talk about value!

10. Dixit - 8
Completely deserving of the 2010 Spiel des Jahres award it received, an absolutely beautiful looking game, and allows people to be creative while they have fun.

11. Masquerade Games Proto - 7
Another game I can't talk about yet, but it's a mercantile game that we've been tinkering with on and off for 2 years now.

12. Settlers From Catan - 7
THE gateway game, I have to admit I tired of this game near the middle of the year, but I'm getting back to the point where I'd like to play again. An amazing game, but it does have a tendency to get a little old for me.

13. Smallworld - 6
I love this game. It's got a hilarious theme, awesome mechanics, and great art.

14. Forbidden Island - 5
Matt Leacocks' new twist on his hit Pandemic is a great looking package. For only $17, you get some nice plastic statues, high quality tiles and cards. A very solid co-op game that plays quick enough to not get tedious.

15. Rummikub - 5

The Rest of the games:

Ticket To Ride 4
Thurn and Taxis 4
Werewolf / Mafia 4
Gheos 4
Atlantis 3
Scrabble 3
Lost Cities 3
Incan Gold 3
Bananagrams 3
Blokus 3
Alea Iacta Est 3
Bocce 3
Bohnanza 3
Leaping Lemmings 3
Revolution! 3
Stone Age 3
Blokus Trigon 2
Hangman 2
Betrayal at House on the Hill 2
Triple Triad 2
Fluxx 2
Castle Panic 2
Atomic 2
Infernal Contraption 2
Fresco 1
Shootin' Ladders 1
Uno 1
Mystery At Hogwarts 1
Tri-Cross 1
Thunderstone 1
Power Grid 1
SORRY! 1

No comments: