Sunday, June 6, 2010

Coney Island

Alexandra and I spent Memorial Day with a fun trip out to Coney Island. She's never been, so I was totally excited to introduce her to the controlled chaos.

We had a fun subway ride (6 to Atlantic Terminal - transfer to the Q to CI), then witnessed how much its changed these past 2 years. Luna Park looks fantastic, but the rides aren't done yet and its mostly geared toward the little tykes. A lot of the old arcades and booths are closed down now, probably run out of town by landlords banking on buyouts for new developments.

We immediately headed over to the cyclone (always do this before food), where we got our brains rattled and we escaped with our lives intact. Next we walked the boardwalk and beach, navigating through wave after wave of fat, out of shape people wearing far too little bathing suit. If you don't believe americans are generally getting fatter and lazier, take a trip to CI this summer.



Next, we got some old school photo booth photos, and played some skee ball. I got to teach Alex some neat tricks to improve her game - and we won enough tickets to buy some skee ball Power Rings.



I later found and old Ms. Pac Man machine in decent condition (set to fast mode just how I like it). After showing off my skills, we went and got some Nathan's. It was way too crowded, but it's funny how much it didn't matter. I was where I wanted to be, with the person I wanted to be with, there was no reason to let the fact that everyone in line was shoulder-to-shoulder - I was happy. We each got a hot dog, shared a corn dog, some fries and an orangeade. It was pretty damn tasty:



We walked it off on the boardwalk, noticing how crazy the beach was:



While it was a great day, I think it's best to avoid Coney on holidays from now on...for as long as it's still there.

No comments: